Big Brothers Big Sisters
Who is Big Brothers Big Sisters of Clearfield County?Big Brothers Big Sisters of Clearfield County, a program of Children's Aid Society, has been a member of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America since 1991 and has operated a mentoring program since 1986.
100% of our revenue is derived from fundraising, grants and public and private donations from our community. Proceeds from various fundraisers comprise the fundraising efforts.
Throughout our growth, we have kept true to our mission to provide services to improve the quality of life for children and their families. In doing so, Big Brothers Big Sisters has become an integral part of front-line prevention services.
Does Big Brothers Big Sisters Work?Youth who meet regularly with a Big Brother or Big Sister are less involved with drugs and alcohol, do better in school, and have better relationships with parents and peers than youth who are not in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program, according to a national study conducted by the Philadelphia-based Public/Private Ventures (P/PV).
Researchers found that youth matched to Big Brothers and Big Sisters:
- Are 46% less likely to start using drugs and 27% less likely to start drinking
- Are 33% less likely to hit someone
- Are 52% less likely to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip a class
- Are more trusting of their parents and guardians, less likely to lie to them and feel more supported and less criticized by their peers and friends.
Benefits of Mentoring:
- Promotes self-esteem
- Provides good role models
- Helps with homework
- Builds new friendships
- Deals one on one
- Kids get along better
- Encourages respect
- Helps in the understanding of feelings
- Provides a safe place to have fun